Episode 8 — Bikini Troubles
So we find ourselves again Mattless. What is it with security professionals and Hawaii? Good stuff in here, sorry about botching last week’s episode link – this one should work better, also, go back and download last weeks.
Notes etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org — we love to hear from you!
DISCLAIMER: It’s not that explicit, but you may want to use headphones if you’re at work.
ADDITIONAL DISCLAIMER: In case it is unclear, this is the story of 4 opinionated infosec pros who have sufficient opinions of their own they don’t need to speak for anyone except themselves. Ok? Good.
In this episode:
- Madhi, more middle eastern spyware
- good bye grum
- crazy guy hacks ISP both online and with an axe – (Dave can relate)
- Project 2020 launched ISCPA to help predict infosec trend spotting project
- blackhole keeps getting â€œbetterâ€
- elections Ontario canâ€™t keep their data in their pants
- Check out the Summer of Breaches “Scorecard”
- ITWallstreet.com – 50,000 accounts
- Elections Ontario – 2.4 million records but 4 million affected
- Pinterest – scrambling to figure out the breach
- Yale – 1,200 usernames with password
- safe computing at Defcon (or any hostile network like the internet)
- donâ€™t use the wifi
- use a VPN
- patch, patch, patch
- shut down everything
- get p0wn3d on an untrusted network ((happens to lots of people, even smart ones, during their presentations – donâ€™t take anything you canâ€™t afford to lose))
- firesheep ((used to be the wall of sheep was a special thing, now itâ€™s a browser extension… use encrypted protocols over an encrypted session))
- the mac store ((Quoting Prez Reagan: Trust but verify — and thereâ€™s something wrong with the Apple purchasing/signing trust path right now — in-app purchases in iOS have been MiTMâ€™d))
- hotels ((Inverse correlation between cost of hotel room and quality of internet — also, costs a freaking arm and a leg — pay-as-you-go 3G data is cheaper.))
Do you think online voting can be done safely? Also, what about you Canadian boys losing all those voter records?
Al from big sky country
- Bsides/BlackHat/DEF CON — all but Ben / The Intern shall be there.
- There are parties in Vegas
- DEF CON is still cancelled – check status here
- Hacker Pyramid!
- Canadian CERT volunteers, email email@example.com
- Get thee to Securosis and get educated!
- The Seacrest has landed. Thatâ€™s one small p0wn for hackers, one giant p0wn for hackerkind
Download the MP3 I FIXED IT!
Creative Commons license: BY-NC-SA